Friday, January 11, 2013

Hysterical Laughter

Gabe loves slap shtick humor. He especially likes things like shows like Wipe Out and America's Funniest Home Video's (AFV) where people fall down. He laughs and laughs. Then he sometimes tries to make things happen to people after he has been allowed to watch some of these shows. This is not good. He also laughs when someone trips, falls or drops things. This is very rude.
A few nights ago we were driving home from the gym. There was a deer wandering around in the road in front of us. I slowed so that I would not hit it. The deer wandered off of the road and I started to speed up. Just then a huge deer ran in front of us. I braked quickly and just missed the deer. Gabe laughed hysterically. "You hit the deer!" he gasped.
"I did not hit the deer," I answered. "I just missed it".
"You were going to hit the deer," Gabe was still laughing.
"I wanted to miss it and I did. I wanted my van to stay nice."
"Boom, you could just hit it," Gabe burst into laughter again.
"Why is .that funny?" I asked.
"I don't know," he answered. "buzzt bing you could ohh sigh" Gabe was trying to get control of himself. He still uses a bit of gibberish in his spoken language when he is at a loss for words or is worked up, whether good or bad.
Some times I wonder if the laughter is simply a nervous reaction or if it is more sinister in nature. It sounds bad. It is sometimes very rude. It mostly needs to stop, but what is the root cause of such an intense reaction and the need to cause such a reaction, such as trying to reenact or cause situations like those on AFV. I wish I knew what he was thinking. Is it something scary or is it nerves?

No comments:

Post a Comment