Thursday, October 6, 2011

New Baby

Angel came home from the hospital with baby Maree on a Tuesday night.  Of course Maree was awake off and on all night long. I had taken some days off of work to stay home with Angel and the baby and got up through out out the night with them. I could hear Gabe turning in his bed in the next room.
I had decided to let Gabe stay home from school the first day that the baby was home. Most mornings when I go in to get him up he shouts things like - get out of my room or I'm going to call the cops - or -I don't have school today so go away - I'm too tired, I just feel sick so get out. Wednesday morning Maree was crying with every ounce of energy she could muster. This was about 15 minutes after Gabe usually gets up. This morning he got out of bed with out the usual complaints. Instead he stood in the hall with his hands over his ears complaining that the baby was crying in his ears.
"She's crying in my ears," Angel said. Gabe didn't seem to notice the comment.
"Make her stop. What's wrong with her?" he asked.
"You don't have to be up," I said. "You don't have to go to school today."
"Oh yes I do!" He declared. "I need to ride a bus NOW. Get me to the bus.What's wrong with her?" The conversation went around a few more times.
Gabe went into our bedroom where Dirk was getting ready for work. I could hear Dirk explaining over and over that babies cry. They cry a lot sometimes.  Finally Gabe gave up and crawled back into bed. I was glad he did. I was so tired that I wanted a few more hours of sleep.Maree stopped crying and we all got a little more sleep.
I have never heard Gabe beg to go to school before.

No comments:

Post a Comment